The #1 Website for Free Appliance Info

Free Heating and Free Appliance Center

Welcome to Free Appliances for Low Income Families! You or your family member might qualify for a free refrigerator, home heating such as a new boiler, insulation or cooling. We show you what you the requirements are to qualify for these free services in all states where the government sponsored LIHEAP program is offered.

Free Government Appliances In Mississippi

Posted November 19th, 2013 in Mississippi Appliances and tagged by admin

LIHEAP is a well-known and highly utilized program. LIHEAP provides financial assistance to eligible households to help pay the cost of home energy bills and other energy related services. Benefits vary depending on the intensity level and are based on the rating tool. Households may qualify for regular LIHEAP assistance and/or the Energy Crisis (emergency) Intervention Program (ECIP) for natural gas, wood, electricity, liquid petroleum propane/butane gas, and other energy related services. The allocation of funds to subgrantees is based on the percentage of poor households in each county compared with the state’s poverty level according to the current census data.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
The Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to reduce energy costs for eligible clients by making their homes more energy efficient. Weatherization focuses on assisting primarily the elderly, disabled and low-income families with young children. Energy efficiency education is provided for each household weatherized. The priority measures that can be applied to each home are based on an energy audit of the client’s home. Weatherization crews install the most cost-effective, energy efficient measures, and address health and safety concerns, improve comfort and air quality.

Who is Eligible?
Eligibility for LIHEAP is based on the household’s total annual gross income, asset test, and participation in case Management. The applicant household must be responsible for the energy cost and/or has the energy bill in his/her name. Eligibility for WAP is based on total annual gross income, the number in the household, and region of the State. Eligibility is also based on the household’s total annual gross income which must be equal to or less than 125% of the poverty guidelines that are in effect.

How Much Assistance Will You Receive?
LIHEAP & WAP benefits will vary depending on the results of the rating tool, compliance with the Case Management Plan, and the household’s total annual gross income. Case Management may not be required for elderly and disabled persons.

Where Do You Apply?
Applications are taken at Community Action Agencies or Human Resource Agencies. All (82) counties have application sites where clients can apply. If you do not know your local agency, you may call the Community Services toll-free number, 1-800-421-0762 or local number, (601) 359-4768.

How Do You Apply?
Contact your local Community Action Agency or local units of government (Rankin and Simpson Counties offer LIHEAP ONLY) to apply.  You will need proof of the monthly income for everyone in your household, a Social Security Number (SSN) for everyone in your household, and proof that you and /or your spouse is responsible for your utility bills, such as electric, and the cost of home energy bills, such as electric, gas, wood, kerosene, and other energy related services. Also, a statement from you landlord stating that your utility cost is not included in the rent (if renting) and that the applicant is responsible for home energy cost, and proof of home ownership or rental property is required.

If you are homebound and unable to go to you local agency to apply, contact that agency by telephone or letter. Arrangements will be made to take an application in your home or your designee may complete an application on your behalf. A statement from you authorizing that individual to complete an application on your behalf must be submitted at the time of the application process.

Ms. Tina Ruffin
LIHEAP Director
Division of Community Services
Mississippi Dept. of Human Services
750 N. State Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39202-4772
TEL: (601) 359-4768
FAX: (601) 359-4370
PUBLIC INQUIRIES:  1-800-421-0762