The #1 Website for Free Appliance Info

Free Heating and Free Appliance Center

Welcome to Free Appliances for Low Income Families! You or your family member might qualify for a free refrigerator, home heating such as a new boiler, insulation or cooling. We show you what you the requirements are to qualify for these free services in all states where the government sponsored LIHEAP program is offered.

Free Government Appliances In Ohio

Posted November 19th, 2013 in Ohio Appliances and tagged by admin

What is HEAP?

For Additional Information:

Call HEAP toll-free at (800) 282-0880 during regular business hours (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday.

For the hearing-impaired with a telecommunication device for the deaf (TTD), call toll-free number (800) 686-1557 or in Franklin County, call (614) 752-8808.

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded program administered by the Ohio Development Services Agency’s Office of Community Assistance (OCA). It is designed to help eligible low-income Ohioans meet the high costs of home heating. If you are eligible for assistance, the amount of your one-time HEAP benefit wilI depend on federal funding levels, how many people live with you, total household income, and the primary fuel you use to heat your home. In most cases, the one-time benefit will be a credit applied to your energy bill by your utility company (or fuel vendor).

Who is eligible for HEAP?

Applicants for HEAP must be at or below 175 percent of the Fiscal Year 2013 federal poverty guidelines listed below. Applications for the 2013-2014 Regular HEAP program will be accepted July 1, 2013 through June 31, 2014.

Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
1 up to $20,107.50
2 $27,142.50
3 $34,177.50
4 $41,212.50
5 $48,247.50
6 $55,282.50
7 $62,317.50
8 $69,353.50

**For households with more than eight members, add $7,035.00 per member.

A household applying for HEAP must report total gross household income for the past 12 months for all members, except wage or salary income earned by dependent minors under 18 years old. Both homeowners and renters are eligible for assistance.

What if I live in Federally Subsidized Housing?

Families who live in federally subsidized housing where the heat is included in the rent are not eligible for HEAP.

How do you define household income?

Household income is defined as the total annual gross income before taxes (minus exclusions) of all household members, except earned income of dependent minors under 18 years of age. All income and allowed exclusions must be documented for household members 18 years of age and older regardless of relationship to the primary applicant. Heads of households and spouses may never be considered minors. Gross household income includes wages, interest, dividends, annuities, and pensions. Additional sources of countable income include, but are not limited to the following:

Included (Countable) Household Income

  • Active Military Pay (Basic pay)
  • Adoption Assistance
  • Alimony
  • Annuity
  • Black Lung
  • Capital Gains – Proceeds from sale of property, home and stock
  • Cash Withdraws from Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA)
  • Child Support Received
  • Company Disability and Black Lung
  • Disability Assistance (DA)
  • Estate and Trust Settlements – minus attorney fees
  • Farm Income
  • Garnisheed Wages, including Bankruptcy/Chapter 13
  • Monetary Assistance
  • Grants/Training Stipends – living expenses only
  • Immigrant Relocation Allowance
  • Interest earned from Savings Accounts
  • Lump Sum Distribution
  • Odd Jobs
  • Pensions – Government/Veterans/Private Industry
  • Rental Income
  • Self-Employment
  • Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability (SSDI)
  • Strike Benefits
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Unearned income paid to or on the behalf of minors
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Utility Allowances (as discretionary income)
  • Wages/Tips
  • Workers’ Compensation

Excluded Household Income

  • Agent Orange Compensation/Benefit
  • Assets from bank withdrawals
  • Attorney’s fees for Estate & Trust Settlements
  • Child Support Paid*
  • FEMA Cash Payments
  • Food Stamps/Cash Payment for food stamps
  • Funds/training stipends designated for specific purposes (i.e., educational Grants/Training stipends for tuition and/or books only-not living expenses)*
  • Handicapped Income – self-sufficiency programs (example: work expenses for the blind)
  • Health Insurance Premiums (dental, vision, health and supplemental insurance)*
  • Income earned by dependent minors less than 18 years of age
  • Loans from individuals or institutions requiring repayment of either principle or principal and interest*
  • Medicare Payments
  • Military Allowances for Subsistence, Housing, Family Separation, etc.*
  • Prevention, Retention, & Contingency (PRC) – assistance to attempt to divert families from long term financial dependency
  • Stipend for Foster Care
  • Tax refunds and rebates
  • Title III Disaster Relief Emergency Assistance Program (DREAP)
  • Title V Wages/Senior Community Employment Programs (SCEP) – Older Americans’ Act (Public Law 100-175) Experience Works (formerly Green Thumb), Foster Grandparents Program, Mature Services
  • Transportation Allowances (i.e., Workforce Investment Act (WIA), Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), Workfare
  • Work Allowances (i.e., Learning Earning and Parenting [LEAP]
  • Volunteers in Service to America (Vista) or other AmeriCorps Stipends

* These exclusions require documentation.

Where can I obtain HEAP applications?

Mail Completed and
Signed Applications to

P.O. Box 1240
Columbus, Ohio 43216

Energy Assistance Programs Application

Zero Income Self-Declaration Form

Aplicacion Combinada para Los Programas de Asistencia para Energia

The HEAP application is the same Energy Assistance Programs application referenced above. They were mailed to households that were found eligible for assistance the previous winter heating season. Applications are available at:

  • Call HEAP toll-free at (800) 282-0880
  • Local Community Action Agencies
  • Local libraries
  • County Departments of Job and Family Services
  • Area Agencies on Aging
  • Local Utility Offices

What is Required to be Mailed with My Completed and Signed Application?

  • Proof of income for the past 12 months
  • A copy of a recent fuel/utility bill
  • Please sign your application.


Mr. Randall Hunt
Deputy Chief
Ohio Department of Development
P.O. Box 1001
77 South High, 25th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43216
TEL: (614) 644-6637
FAX: (614) 728-6832
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 1-800-282-0880 (TDD: 1-800-686-1557)