The #1 Website for Free Appliance Info

Free Heating and Free Appliance Center

Welcome to Free Appliances for Low Income Families! You or your family member might qualify for a free refrigerator, home heating such as a new boiler, insulation or cooling. We show you what you the requirements are to qualify for these free services in all states where the government sponsored LIHEAP program is offered.

Free Government Appliances In South Dakota

Posted November 19th, 2013 in South Dakota Appliances and tagged by admin

The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) provides assistance to low-income South Dakota households to help them pay for their home heating bills. Energy Assistance helps low-income South Dakotans pay for home heating costs. Keep in mind, energy assistance may not pay for all of your home heating cost.

Home Energy Assistance


  • you must apply
  • your total gross income may not exceed maximum income guidelines
  • you must be responsible for paying home heating costs

Energy assistance funds are distributed on a first-come basis. Eligibility and assistance amounts are based on the number of people in your home, income of everyone in your home, type and cost of heating and where you live. If you are eligible, the payment is made to your energy supplier.

Emergency Components (October 1 – March 31):

Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP). To qualify for ECIP energy assistance, the household must be income eligible and in a crisis, such as:

  • have a current disconnection notice for the primary heat source;
  • be cash-on-delivery, or refusal to deliver with less than 20% in tank; or
  • have an eviction notice for non-payment if heat is included in rent or paid in addition to rent.

What do I send when applying?

  1. Application. The application must be signed by everyone living in the house age 18 or older. All sections of the application must be completed.
  2. Proof of Household Incomefor everyone living in the house that was received in the 3 calendar months prior to the month you sign and send your application
    • Proof means: copies of check stubs, employer’s income statements, tax return, award letters, etc. Self-employed persons must send a complete copy of the previous year tax return.
  3. Proof of Home heating costs.Paid directly to an energy supplier, or paid as part of rent.
    • Proof means: a copy of a recent bill or fill ticket from the energy supplier, a statement from the energy supplier showing type of heat and account number, or a statement from the landlord verifying heat is paid as part of rent or in addition to the rent.

How do I apply and what are the office hours?

  • To apply for the low income energy assistance program, fill out the application.
  • Office hours: 8am – 5pm (CT) Monday-Friday.
  • If it is an emergency, call 1-800-233-8503.
  • If you are not calling during office hours, leave a message on the answering machine stating your name, phone number and a brief description of the emergency.

2013-2014 Heating Season Income Limits

Household Size
Maximum 3-month Income
1 Person
2 Persons
3 Persons
4 Persons
5 Persons
6 Persons
7 Persons
8 Persons
9 Persons
10 Persons


Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to help low income South Dakota households overcome the high cost of energy by making their homes more energy efficient.

Weatherization work is completed by four different community action programs serving specific counties throughout the state. See the list of community action programs below to contact the program serving your county.

Weatherization Measures

The weatherization of a home may or may not include weatherization measures such as:

  • Weather-stripping of doors and windows.
  • Caulking and sealing cracks and holes in a building structure.
  • Insulating attics, walls and under floors.
  • Repair, tune-up or replacement of non-functional heating systems.
  • Incidental repairs necessary to protect the weatherization material.


Eligibility is based on household income. Priority is given to the elderly, individuals with disabilities, families with children and single family dwellings.

There is no cost for weatherization assistance. However, funds are limited so you may be placed on a waiting list. Renters, as well as homeowners, are eligible if the landlord gives written permission for the work to be done. A contribution from the landlord may be requested.


Beginning July 1, 2009, families with an annual income of up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level will be eligible for assistance. This temporary change in eligibility is expected to last until September 2010, but is dependent on funding availability.

Household Size
3-Month Income Maximum

Contact Information

Inter-Lakes Community Action
PO Box 268, Madison  SD 57042-0268
Phone: (605) 256-6518 or 1-800-896-4105
Fax: (605) 256-2238Counties Served:Brookings, Clark, Codington, Deuel, Grant, Hamlin, Kingsbury, Lake, McCook, Miner, Minnehaha, Moody.
Rural Office of Community Services
PO Box 70, Lake Andes  SD 57356-0070
Phone: (605) 487-7634 or 1-800-793-3290
Fax: (605) 487-7883
Counties Served: Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Buffalo, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld, Jones, Lincoln, Lyman, Mellette, Sanborn, Todd, Tripp, Turner, Yankton, Union.
Northeast South Dakota Community Action
104 Ash St E, Sisseton  SD 57262-1551
Phone: (605) 698-7654 or 1-800-245-3895
Fax: (605) 698-3038Counties Served: Beadle, Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Hughes, Hyde, McPherson, Marshall, Potter, Roberts, Spink, Stanley, Sully, Walworth.
Western South Dakota Community Action
1844 Lombardy Drive, Rapid City  SD 57701-4130
Phone: (605) 348-1460 or 1-800-327-1703
Fax: (605) 348-8440Counties Served: Bennett, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Haakon, Harding, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade, Perkins, Shannon, Pennington, Ziebach.



General Contact

Mr. David Gall
Program Administrator
Office of Energy Assistance
Department of Social Services
206 West Missouri Avenue
Pierre, South Dakota 57501-4517
TEL: (605) 773-4131
FAX: (605) 773-6657
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 1-800-233-8503