The #1 Website for Free Appliance Info

Free Heating and Free Appliance Center

Welcome to Free Appliances for Low Income Families! You or your family member might qualify for a free refrigerator, home heating such as a new boiler, insulation or cooling. We show you what you the requirements are to qualify for these free services in all states where the government sponsored LIHEAP program is offered.

Free Government Appliances In Vermont

Posted November 20th, 2013 in Vermont Appliances and tagged by admin

Fuel Assistance (also known as Home Heating Assistance) can help pay part of your home heating bills whether you:

  • Own your home or rent;
  • Pay for heat directly or as part of rent;
  • Rent a room in someone’s home; or
  • Live in public, subsidized, or Section 8 housing AND rent includes the cost of heat.

You may be eligible if your gross household income is equal to or less than 185% of the federal poverty level, based on household size — regardless of the resources (e.g., savings, retirement accounts, or property) that you own. Click here for the 2012-2013 income guidelines.

Income is the total money coming into your household each month, including wages, Reach Up cash assistance, Unemployment Compensation, Social Security or SSI benefits, child support or alimony. There may be people who live in your home who will not be in your Fuel Assistance household (e.g., caretaker or roomer). This means their income will not count when we determine whether you are eligible and for how much.You still need to list everyone living in your home on the application form.

How do I apply?

    • If you DID RECEIVE fuel assistance last season: We will automatically send you an annual review form. Once we receive your completed form, we will review your eligibility to get fuel assistance this season. Note: you will need to complete a review form every year.


    • If you DID NOT RECEIVE fuel assistance last season:
    1. You can apply using our online application; or
    2. If you are applying for fuel assistance only, you can print this application form and submit it to the address listed on the bottom of page 2; or
    3. Call our Benefits Service Center at 1-800-479-6151 to request a paper application; or
    4. Apply in person at your local district office.

If you need help applying, contact your local Community Action Agency. Vermonters age 60 and older may also call the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 for assistance.

How much help can I get?

As more families participate in the program, the benefits will be smaller. This means that you should plan to pay a bigger portion of your heating costs this coming winter.

Please note: suppliers of firewood/wood pellets no longer need to be certified. Benefits will be paid directly to eligible applicants.

Right To A Timely Decision.
Learn about your right to a timely decision on an application.

General Contact

Mr. Richard Moffi
Fuel Assistance Program Chief
Office of Home Heating Fuel Assistance
Department for Children and Families
103 South Main Street
Waterbury, Vermont 05676
TEL: (802) 769-6448
FAX: (802) 769-2186
PUBLIC INQUIRIES: 1-800-479-6151 or 1-802-828-6896